Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Future In Business Computers

OK so messing around with Ubuntu and recent headlines about off site data storage made me come up with an idea. I'm sure this has already been implemented in some situations but it makes a lot of sense for more companies to start doing this. As anybody who works in a cubical type environment knows their machine is usually tucked away somewhere near their feet, and when they log on to the network all their files for the most part are either on a server somewhere in a closet tucked away from normal access or saved directly on that machine the user has. But in the event that a hurricane comes through what do you do? Well some companies have resorted to backing up files on a remote server (probably somewhere in the mountains) to ensure data loss is prevented. But why? This process costs a lot of money and in reality since it goes through FTP is often very very slow. Here's my resolution. Large companies should have a remote server facility in which multiple instances of Windows XP, 2000, or whatever operating system is used at the company running on large servers. The user at the company then logs into his machine which is actually just one of those instances.

An example?
OK as you are all aware I work for a computer company. Well lets face it I need records of a lot of my data that I produce here when I am at home (Mainly so I can work with no pay) but also to ensure that I am getting everything done on time. I also don't trust our companies servers. I mean we lose power... A LOT!!! So what do I do? Well I have Ubuntu Linux at home running a really cool program called Virtual Box. So when I get into work I remote to my computer (Which is actually pretty decent speed, and I do all my work on my virtual machine. On my machine at home I have excellent security, a good backup program, and lets face it I never lose power to my computer (It's running off solar power). So all in all I think with today's technology and data backup issues this should be something that is explored a little more.

No comments: